Blog #1: The Nerdy Asian
The nerdy South Asian stereotype is a popular example of a positive racial stereotype frequently used in digital media. The nerdy South Asian is typically portrayed as a weak, naive person who is extremely intelligent and is heavily engrossed in his/her studies. The nerdy South Asian stereotype perpetuates the model minority narrative that Asian American children are polite, passive, extremely intelligent, and ultimately are an "example" for all other minorities. Baljeet Tjinder from Disney Channel's Phineas and Ferb is one of the most alarming encapsulations of the nerdy South Asian stereotype in popular media. Baljeet chooses to play trivia, run his science fiction club, and obsess over his grades rather than spending time playing sports or on adventures like his fellow 5th graders. Baljeet and his family's strong emphasis on his studies are over-exaggerated throughout the show, including a scene in which Baljeet receives a calculator as his Christmas present. By limiting Baljeet's personality to a math-loving, extremely kind character, the show enables the nerdy South Asian positive stereotype is harmful for fellow South Asians growing up. Instead of being able to be proud of one's culture and individuality, by assuming these labels assigned by popular media, many South Asians and Indians become seen as and begin to see themselves more as these jokes and stereotypes rather than as their own unique human being.
In one episode, Baljeet claims that the "scariest thing known to man" is a receiving a F on a math grade. Baljeet's obsession over receiving high grades can be understood throughout the show by the high levels of emphasis and stress that his parents place on these scores. As an immigrant moving from India for education in the United States, Baljeet's parents push him heavily to succeed in America, a land full of opportunities and a new beginning that his parents were unable to grow up with. However, the show fails to communicate this with the audience, instead portraying South Asian parents as grade obsessed, strict and cruel parents.

I am thrilled that you pointed out that in reality a lot of immigrant parents emphasis on grades is because of their upbringings, it sheds a new light and side to this topic that typically just focuses on debunking the stereotype rather than understanding its origins.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this reply! It is something that I grew up with and had to learn myself, so I am really glad you appreciated it!
DeleteHi Lucas! This positive stereotype is unfortunately a common stereotype that is in so many movies and television shows. I think it’s interesting how it is usually in children and teen shows, which brings up another topic about the influence of media on kids.
ReplyDeleteSorry for late comment.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I was a little kid I liked Baljeet because I thought it was funny how he was an outrageous exaggeration of Kid With Tiger Mom stereotype (I came from Asian family and used to be always scared of getting anything less than an A because of these stereotypes lol). Back then I straight-up never questioned how bad this was though. I thought the point of the show was to have characters that are clearly exaggerated or subverted i.e. how the bully character is besties with Baljeet, if I remember correctly. Yet at the same time this type of stereotype is related to Baljeet's ethnicity which is where I draw the line.
Like an earlier comment says, it's good to discuss the origins of the stereotype too.