WP4: The Cruelty of Slavery
The topic that I will be choosing for WP4 is the re-evaluation of the cruelty and violence of slavery. The Southern states were shockingly violent to their slaves, with "disciplinary" and cruel tactics, such as lynching, whipping, rape, etc. However, in most schools, while it is true that it is taught to lower maturity students, slavery is often depicted more as an economical issue with human right bearings. The severity of the inhumanity of slavery is seldom taught to children. While it may not be an option to teach younger children, creating mandatory lessons and an emphasis on the violence to high school and college students would be extremely beneficial.
Slavery is a large part of our history whether we like it or not. Thousands of communities are still recovering from the aftermath and effects that it had on their relationships with other people, culture, and their socioeconomic status. Being able to learn the true acts and colors of slavery will help more individuals reflect on how our society runs today. Especially now, years and years after slavery, with apparent conflictual issues like BLM, police brutality, and more, it is important to teach the true history between black and white
Hi Lucas - I think this is a good topic choice because it has been taught to students, but not with the full severity of the situation or all of the facts. It is important to recognize and learn the truth of these events.
ReplyDeleteGood point about it being taught as an economical issue rather than a larger issue. Usually I am thinking back about sample arguments I've heard in history class about "slavery was done all over the world" or maybe even "slavery helped the economy" which is nasty that it could be boiled down to just $$$ in the history book. That being said this might be a really broad topic so be careful. I'm interested to see how this topic develops.
ReplyDeleteGreat topic choice, it is a bit broad of a subject but I believe it opens up a lot more room for different perspectives and conversations to be made. I would definitely love to see if you could find specific examples or stories to emphasize your point. - Gina Phu
ReplyDeleteI think understanding this topic is important and your choice to revisit it during these times will help shed light on the current as well as past issues relating to it.
ReplyDelete